Monday, April 20, 2009

What is the strangest thing you ever ate?

I think it is easy for a Chilean people tell you which strange things they have ate, because currently in my country we can find food from all countries, and also we produce a lot of strange things which are exported to others countries. Examples of these are earth snails, marine snake, different kind of birds, a lot of vegetables, and animals. Specifically for me, it is an easy question, because I never have rejected food. Normally I say to the people, when they invited me to eat, “do not worry about food, I have leaned to eat and to enjoy any kind of food”. Some time I laugh saying to the people, “I am as pork with the food, I can eat anything”.

My different jobs I made me to share with so different kind of people, some of them wealthy, others in the average, and another very poor, and I have shared and ate with all of them. Thus, I have eaten grass of which grow near to irrigable channels, octopus, turtle, eel, and goad (I am unsure about the name, but it is a marine snake).

I do not know, maybe you do not believe me, but I have eaten ants since I was four years old. At beginning, I captured them one by one in the kitchen of my parents’ house. With the running of the time, I put food close to the trash in order to catch a lot of them at the same time. After that, a long time later, people from Brazil and Ecuador offered me fried ants, as the thing strangest in the world, and I limited to eta them. They was surprising, because they did not mi story with the ants.

Recently, in my second month at CESL, a group of Chinese students offered me worms. The offer was not just for me, it was for all students, but I was the only person who came from not Asian country that accepted to eat them. It was so easy because the warms were dry, and they also had flavor to cheese. They were really delicious.

I do not know what do you find stranger? You can choose among turtle, octopus, eel, marine snake, grass, ants, or worms. About me, I am waiting for a new kind of food, a stranger one.

Nelson Carrasco.

1 comment:

  1. I love turtles so it makes me a little sad to think about eating them., but if you really want to explore some crazy food options I suggest you read all of the chinese student's blogs...

    ReplyDelete